The history of the castle and the town of Oeding

When the prince-bishop bailiff Johann von Bermenfelde signed the deed for the sale of his estate on the 18.04.1353 to Bishop Ludwig II in Oeding in Kirchspiel Suedlohn, which at the time consisted of mill, castle, buildings, Fish-ponds and appurtenances, he did not recognize the importance of the deed. This was the first time the town was officially mentioned and is now known as ‘Flecken Oeding’ in a farming community of Nichtern.

Lange Jahre sind seitdem vergangen. Und aus dem ehemals befestigten Hof entstand nach und nach die zu Glanzzeiten herrschaftliche Burg Oeding. Diese U-förmige von Wasser umgebene Anlage bildete über Jahrhunderte das Zentrum des Ortes Oeding.
A long time has passed and bit by bit the estate turned into the stately Burg Oeding that it is today. The u-shaped, with water surrounded building has represented the town of Oeding for many centuries. To secure the well-being of the castle, farmers and craftsmen inhabited the areas around the castle, which is now known as the Burgring. This was the cornerstone to the development of the town to this present day. After the glamorous years of the Oeding gentlemen together with the families von Gemen, von Viermund, von Keppel and von Mulert, the castle fell into a sleeping beauty like hibernation in 1839 only to fall into the ownership of the Pass family in 1859.
Awaking in 1979, the castle integrated the old keep with its former dungeon to develop a modern new hotel and create new life in its ancient walls. Ever since, the castle portrays itself as hospitable and festive. Up until today the castle tower is the landmark of the town of Oeding.